Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Komrad: Mao's Hunan and Sichuan Kitchen @ Eastwood


Last July 11, we went to Eastwood and ate at Komrad for the first time. At first I was hesitant to go inside because there were only two customers so I thought to myself baka hindi masarap. Another thing I noticed were the colors in the restaurant: red and black. Then there was a large picture of Mao Zeddong. The place had a heavy feeling for me. When I go to restaurants I usually like those that are well lit and have bright and happy colored interiors. For the sake of trying something new, I agreed to give it a try.

The place had a cozy ambiance despite its heavy colors inside. We sat on the couch and it really felt comfortable. The tables were large enough for both me and Geraldine to have ample elbow space while eating.

Geraldine and I were both clueless on what a Hunan and Sichuan cuisine is about so I just let her decide on everything we were going to eat. She ordered everything she loves to eat: Shrimp, Squid and Siomai. At first, I was going for plain rice but she wanted Yang Chow Fried rice. She said “Yang Chow nalang. Mukang masarap.” Since it was good for two people, that's what we ordered.

The serving time was about 15 minutes, pretty quick but then again there were only six customers (Yes! Another two walked in) at that time. Firstly, they served the Kung Pao Shrimp Balls. There were about 10 pieces which looked plenty the way they arranged it on the plate. There were peanuts as well on the dish. Being shrimp lovers, we both enjoyed the dish. It was a little bit spicy, just enough to complement the sweetness. This is surely a HIT.

Kung Pao Shrimp Balls - Php325

Kung Pao Shrimp Balls





The Garlic Siomai was served on a sizzling plate which made it interesting. However aside from the different presentation there is nothing outstanding about this dish. For now this is a miss.

Komrad Garlic Siomai - Php125

Lastly, the Crispy Calamari was served. Two dips went along with it, apple sauce and the usual sweet and spicy. I am not a fan of calamari because I do not like the elastic texture of the squid when you eat it. However, this is different.  Aside from it not being the usual ring shaped calamari it had a different texture once you eat it. It was not elastic. It was crispy on the outside but soft on the inside. The apple sauce that went with it was also perfect. Without a doubt, you should CRAVE for this HIT dish.

Crispy Calamari with Two Sauces - Php165




Komrad: Mao's Hunan and Sichuan Kitchen
2nd Level, Veranda
Eastwood Mall
Bagumbayan, Libis, QC







No comments:

Post a Comment